Saturday, September 13, 2008

The way events unfolded yesterday

Mum wouldn't get up till almost 9:00am. I wouldn't dare to disturb her, but wanted her awake so she can see dad, maybe go shopping (in Israel you want to get it done early on Friday as shops close early for the Shabbat), and she had that longed for, once deferred hair appointment. After last night's euphoria I felt we could at last resume normal life, or something very similar to that. To that end I placed myself in the kitchen and started making breakfast, not taking care at all to be quiet, on the contrary, I chopped my vegetables gaily (i.e. noisily) and moved dishes about so the kitchen sounds could be heard in her room (door was open), and for background noise I turned the TV on (though not very loud). She finally got up - some rustling, some shuffling, I could hear her going to her bathroom. I waited till she emerged. It felt like a long time, maybe some 20 minutes. She finally stuck her head into the main living space. "Good morning mum". She didn't reply. "Did you sleep well?". She finally spoke. "Well, there you are. You got what you wanted all alone. Aren't you clever. Look at these clothes." My heart sank. She was, or acted groggy, on account of the pill she took the night before, granted, but what happened to the happy girl, all smiles, the positive comments on Adi's new computer when it was shown to her, the playful banter with her youngest grandson Dor over how come the girls aren't throwing themselves at his feet? Have we all been dreaming it last night? "I am going back to bed" she announced. "aren't you going to have some breakfast mum?" "No, I will not have any breakfast" she hissed and vanished. I left it at that, feeling despondent. The phone rang. In this house the reception calls apartment every morning at around 8:30am "to wish you a good day". This morning (yesterday's, remember?) when they called first time I let the phone ring, so the noise might wake her up, and her day might commence. They rang off after 4 rings. A few minutes later it rang again. The internal phone is in the kitchen. I picked up this time and was greeted as is the way here. Now her bedside phone rang. She didn't pick it up. I looked in the bedroom, she was lying down, awake, still. I walked around the bed and picked up the phone. It was her friend Haya calling from downstairs, in dad's room to see if mum would like her to drive her to the hairdresser's home, not far from here. I related this to her. Pause. "Oh, tell her she can come up here if she wants to". This didn't feel right. Haya was her dearest friend. Mum simply adores her. Dad had already called at some point: "Isn't mum going to come down and see me this morning?" I gave him the sorry update. He fell silent.
Haya is at the door. Mum comes out, no smiles, a bit subdued. Fair enough, it must be that pill, and we were told it can take days before the full effect is evident, so let's all be patient. It will all turn out fine, you'll see! One more attempt at coaxing her to eat or drink something before going out. "No". "Mum, you could have a small tub of yoghurt, you can open that yourself" I said. Still no. I bade them a successful trip and closed the door. Seconds later the door buzzed. I opened the door. Mum is back: "Give me your key". I smelt a rat. "Where is your key mum?" "Oh, forget it then" she barked impatiently. "All right, all right mum, let me see if the metal key fits the door and you can have the electronic disc/key". "Give me the whole bunch!" I withdrew my hand. That whole bunch had the car keys too. She is up to something! I know my mum too well and she can often fool me, but not this time. I also knew by now it was not the wisest idea to send her out to the world, even with a minder, but I couldn't stop this. It dawned on me she only had her small "ethnic" purse with her. I knew she always kept her keys in the big black one - and she never takes a step without it. Where was it? At her bid I went to her room and fetched it for her. They were off, again, and as soon as I closed the door I realised she now has both disc/keys and I had none. Not a problem, it's just that the disc acts as a master key for the building while the conventional metal one only fits the apartment's front door. I can manage.
The following is an almost verbatim account told to me by Haya. Mum rushed to the lift at breakneck speed. Then from lobby level through the doors and to the parked car again at such rate Haya, a much younger woman could not keep up with her. "What's the hurry?" she called after mum, who replied: "we're escaping from here, we're getting away". In the car mum was talking breathlessly, and when Haya said something back to her she turned on Haya too: "Don't talk such rot". Haya said something back and mum started threatening she would open the car door and get out. Haya got scared and locked the doors. What followed was described in a previous post. Essentially mum went into aome hapless people's flat and wouldn't leave. By the time Haya searched and found her she had thrown her id card into the garden (later found by chance by Adi). Lea rushed to the scene, but mum wouldn't respond to her or anybody else. Police had to be called to help extract her from the flat, and she was forced into Nir's car. Nir and Adi took her back to Shalvata, where not 24 hours before she was sent home after a "chat". This time, following the wait for a District Psychiatrist's order she was admitted for one week. She was given an injection to tranquilise her, but other than that, as far as I know she refused all food, wouldn't remove her jewellery and wouldn't let them put the hospital id wristband on her. Lea went to see her later in the day, taking a bag I have packed for her. I will visit her on Saturday.

No comments: