Thursday, September 11, 2008

Later, Same Day

We feared it, then we were outwardly resigned to it, but now it has come, we can hardly handle it. A little after midday the ambulance came to take mum away. A male nurse (in plain everyday clothes, just a cab driver) accompanied mum and Lea and off they went, no scene, no fuss. She is to be taken to a small facility not very far from here, and we are told it's a peaceful, lush place, non-threatening and very pleasant. "Like a little kibbutz" said one of the staff here.
Throughout the morning mum had been acting like a person who had had a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast. When she ranted it was as forceful as ever. Her fist shook with the vigour of a young woman, not the little, 80 year old (older, she says, although I don't think she is older than 78) grandmother who has spent the last 24 hours with no rest or nourishment. Dad has broken down and cried several times today. He has become emotional in recent years, and as it got too embarrassing for the family (mum, it must be said) he was given an anti-depressant which he has taken ever since. I was against it: why supress an emotion? He was only crying, that's all. What's the harm in that?! But he has been content so I never bugged him on it. Right now it was just the two of us in the morning, on the patio of the clinic (mum was inside, afraid to come out lest "they locked her out", Lea was busy elswhere within the building). I put my hand on his shoulder, not knowing quite what to do - we were never physically demonstrative, so I just patted him a little. Just so he knows I am with him no matter what. When the ambulance arrival was imminent Lea and mum went up to the flat. I had been there for a while, avoiding mum. At present I am the Devil, Lea is back in the good books. Mum has already been flying into a rage each time she saw me, and I was told to either ignore her or to be as nice as possible. Mum walked past me as I was drying some dishes, and she went into her bedroom, where the bed was made since the previous morning. She rummaged for some essentials to pack for an overnight stay, Lea followed into the flat. I volunteered to go back down to dad, and in his room we all met once more before mum left quietly, tearfully, with Lea.
After dad calmed down he sat in one chair, I in another, and we both opened our books - my suggestion as a way to relax, perhaps to help him drift naturally towards some sleep, of which he was deprived last night. It worked, and after a while he was ready to go to bed. I left him alone, and walked along the corridor to the exit door. As I turned and looked back, don't know why I did that, I glimpsed my brother Benny just entering dad's room. Crap! I have kept him informed of what was happening, and he had just called me back not 10 minutes ago. Or did I just imagine I saw him?

No comments: