Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday 25/08/2008

Another day, and the patient is getting ever worse. My dad on the other hand is getting (tentatively) better. I know it's not a crime to be a bit mental, but I just don't have the tools to deal with her, and my gawd does she need help! The meeting of minds to discuss my dad's treatment took place this morning. We only got to talk with the cardiologists at this hospitals. The head of department (from another hospital) was there, but gone before we got there. Trying to get an audience with him, although my dad is going to reject the option of an operation. Seems the risk is way to high, and the recovery process is so lengthy and hard, it alone could kill a man of dad's age and physical state. I told him that we will all accept, honour and respect any decision he makes, and he will have all our support. The one thing we cannot do for him is decide.
Went home to make lunch and to rest before going back to hospital. My sister called to tell us they have moved him out of heart ward, to internal (on the same floor). My mother went straight into hysteria mode, practically bouncing off the walls, whining, moaning, cursing everyone in that hospital: "the minute we were out of the door they moved him!" "What shall we do? What shall we do?" So now she wants me to take her straight back there, like it will make any difference. We were told earlier that he could be moved to Geriatric ward, where he will have "home like" accommodation, and will receive the best treatment to rebuild his physical strength and stamina. Once that happens, we'll see how long he needs before he can be allowed to go home. The core of his problems is 2 faulty heart valves. That will not be fixed with medication - he will remain largely incapacitated, but could lead a fairly independent life, albeit with constant care from someone (not mum) who can be there to look after him, support him, and stop him from falling off his feet, once he is back on them.
It all sounds gloomy, but he did look, sound and feel better and stronger today than yestarday, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

No comments: