Saturday, August 29, 2009

Looking After Dad, 2009 Chapter

Been away from this blog for a long time, but now that Guy told me off for microblogging I am back. Unlike previous posts I'll try to trim them down a bit. Minibloggiong if you will.
And in that spirit let me bring you up to speed on recent events. My dad, 83 yo and getting frailer, is in hospital, with a kidney malfunction. The treatment of that part of the anatomy calls for a lot of patience, tolerance and resilience. He is due for a biopsy some time tomorrow, so no food from midnight. He is well looked after: a member of the family is with him from morning till night time, then his carer (or someone else is recruited at times). I brought my own holiday in Israel 2 weeks forward so I'm here for a month.
I was his companion this morning till about 3:30 p.m. Brought along my brand new Macbook Pro and some DVDs to divert dad a bit (that had a partial success only: the Royal Variety Performance was wiped off one, and the only other disc had Little Britain Abroad, a hard nut to crack even for many Brits). After he had a shower (administered by the nurse) we took a wheelchair and went down to take the air and the warm sun for a couple of hours. We chatted on subjects other than how poor and miserable dad was, and this is my plan of action in a nutshell. To help him feel less sorry for himself and regain his mental strength.
More riveting stuff from me later.

No comments: