Thursday, August 24, 2006

Tuesday Night in Krakow

Back in town, and I need lunch! The crazy driver sets me down by my apartment, I bid my new friends goodbye. I will miss the Swedish (half Turkish on his father's side - how cool is that?!) guy especially. But now I must forage for food. I go into a modest, local little restaurant, much like a school canteen only here you can get a beer and smoke. The lady behind the counter confounds my prejudice by speaking English and being helpful! I want the pierogi (let's not go too deep: we'll call them Polish ravioli). They are fresh out. I settle for the Polish version of schnitzel, the local beer and enjoy a simple, tasty fare in an unadorned, basic local diner. Perfect. In the evening I walk around town, again all the way to Kazimierz, and I stop for dinner at an Italian restaurant, on a small, desolate square, flanked from the south side by the Great Synagogue. I sit out on the terrace, and order Polish dishes. I keep it as light as possible - still carrying inside of me that late lunch... It had been drizzling down all evening, and now it is raining so I stretch my stay at the restaurant till the rain thins out to a drizzle again, and I set off to the club I wanted to go to the night before. I get there, this time quite easily, I go in. The club is called Ciemna - it means "The Dark". It's a well, dark (or dimly lit) space, with darker corners, partitions made to look like prison bars, few people but definitely not empty. The area, and some of the patrons may look sinister but the barman is nice and friendly enough. I stay for a couple of beers, then head home. I even manage to catch the night bus this time, and before long I am home and (almost) dry.

No comments: